Chuck Wagon Roast with Vegetables Recipe
The perfect dish to kick off the fall season, this Chuck Wagon Roast with Vegetables recipe with raving 5-star reviews! A delicious and tender roast is just what you need on a cool day. With only a 15-minute prep time, this roast will smell up your home during the 4 hours it is cooking. This recipe is Family Tested and Approved, so make sure you make enough for seconds and thirds!
- 1 3-pound boneless chuck roast ($5.99/lb. for Angus Price Boneless Chuck Roast, this week at Fresh)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour (2 for $5 Pillsbury All Purpose Flour, this week at Fresh)
- 1 c water
- 1 c buttermilk
- 4 tsp instant beef soup bouillon (or use 1 cup good beef stock instead of water and bouillon)
- 1/2 tsp crushed thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 c frozen broccoli florets, thawed (1 crown of fresh broccoli) ($1.49/lb. for Broccoli Crowns, this week at Fresh)
- 2 c frozen cauliflower florets, thawed (1/2 head of fresh cauliflower) ($2.49 per Cauliflower, this week at Fresh)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in 3-quart roasting or baking pan. (I use a baking pan and wrap roast tight in foil) Add flour to drippings; cook and stir until browned. Add buttermilk, water, bouillon, thyme and pepper. Cook and stir until bouillon dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place onions around meat; spoon sauce over meat. Cover; bake 2 hours.
- Add carrots and continue to bake for 2-3 hours more or until roast is tender. Add remaining vegetables; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.