Veggie Noodle with Creamy Parmesan Sauce Recipe
If you love pasta, but not all the calories that comes with it, this low-calorie pasta alternative is for you! This Veggie Noodle with Creamy Parmesan Sauce recipe is made up of zucchini noodles and crunchy vegetables for a super quick, fresh, and satisfying meal. And one of the best parts, it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. The perfect healthy alternative to pasta you didn’t know you needed in your life!
INGREDIENTS LIST FOR THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES
- 2 pounds (1kg) zucchini washed and julienned (use a julienne peeler or a spiralizer) (2 for $6 of Cut Vegetable Noodles, this week at Fresh Madison)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil ($3.99 for Our Family Olive Oil in assorted varieties, this week at Fresh)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips ($3.99 /lb. for Tri Color Peppers, 3-pack, this week at Fresh)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in strips ($3.99 /lb. for Tri Color Peppers, 3-pack, this week at Fresh)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 oz (220g) of mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup (70ml) Greek yogurt, or heavy cream (makes it creamy, optional)
- 1/4 cup (50g) parmesan cheese ($1.89 for Our Family Chunk or Shredded Cheese, this week at Fresh)
- 1 tablespoon flat parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Combine garlic and spices together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil along with the sliced onions and bell pepper. Sauté until the veggies have softened, then add mushrooms and the garlic and spice mixture. Add vegetable stock, Greek yogurt, and parmesan to link the sauce.
3. When the mushrooms have cooked for a couple of minutes and start to soften, turn the heat to high and add the zucchini noodles. Cook for a few minutes, you want them to still have a bit of crunch to them, not completely cooked through. Use a pair of tongs to toss the zucchini noodles in the pan as they’re cooking. At the end of cooking, add chopped parsley and toss quickly to combine.
4. Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional parsley, parmesan, and fresh cracked pepper.
Note: Make sure to have everything prepared before actually turning on the stove so you won’t overcook your vegetables along the way.