Pot Roast Tacos Recipe
After all the turkey, enjoy a spicy night with beef! Take advantage of the deals this week at Fresh Madison Market to make some tasty Pot Roast Tacos. Crispy tortilla shells, melt in your mouth beef, fresh toppings–a Fresh take on Taco Tuesday.
Pot Roast Tacos
- 2 pounds beef shoulder ($4.99 lb. Angus Pride Boneless Arm Roast this week at Fresh)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, sliced (99¢ lb. Sweet Onions this week at Fresh)
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (or get something fresh: $1.69 lb. Hot House Tomatoes this week at Fresh)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 6 fresh medium corn tortillas
- 3 cups finely shredded white cabbage
- Guacamole ($5.99 14oz. Guacamole this week at Fresh)
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime for flavor - optional (2/$1 Organic Limes this week at Fresh)
- Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy pot that has a tight cover, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and the beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Add the onion and allow to lightly brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, plus 1 tomato can of water, spices, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 3 hours until the meat is fork tender. Let meat cool in the liquid. Shred meat and set aside.
- Heat a large pot of oil over medium heat. When oil reaches 350 degrees F, fry the corn tortillas 1 at a time. Place the tortilla in the oil and wait about 30 seconds. Then use the handle of a wooden spoon to press down into the center of the tortilla and fold it in the middle. Hold down for a few seconds waiting for the tortilla to form into taco shell and then drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
- To assemble the tacos:
- Lay some shredded cabbage as a base. Top with some shredded beef and tomatoes. Serve alongside Guacamole and salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Spritz lime juice for extra flavor.