Bubble & Squeak Recipe
“How’s the craic?” & may the luck of the Irish be with you! Mix it up this week with a traditional Irish breakfast feast of Bubble & Squeak. Bubble & Squeak mixes together some basic staples of a St. Patrick’s Day smorgasbord–corned beef, cabbage or chard and potatoes. There is a little catch, Bubble & Squeak includes another Irish dish, Colcannon. These recipes are super simple and deliciously filling. Share with your friends after a night of celebrating, or prepare for a fun weekend with a tasty base layer of carbs, protein and happiness. Channel your hunger and excitement as the dish bakes with a fun Irish jig.
Get the ingredients on sale this week at Fresh, and Happy St. Patty’s Day!
Bubble & Squeak
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Total: 60 mins
- Servings: 6
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Sodium: 761mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- 1 cup cooked Brussels sprouts (shredded)
- 4 ounces cooked corned beef brisket (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 russet potatoes (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5 to 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 3 lightly packed cups chopped kale, cabbage, chard, or other leafy green
- 3 green onions, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup milk or cream
- First, make your Colcannon
- Boil the potatoes:
Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, and bring to a boil.
Boil until the potatoes are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Cook the greens and the green onions with butter:
Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot and once it's hot, add the greens.
Cook the greens for 3-4 minutes, or until they are wilted and have given off some of their water.
Add the green onions and cook for 1 minute more.
- Mash the potatoes with milk or cream and greens:
Pour in the milk or cream, mix well, and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium.
Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens.
Add salt to taste and serve hot, with a knob of butter in the center.
- Boil the potatoes:
- Continue to the Bubble & Squeak meal
- Shred brussels sprouts and corned beef.
- Combine shredded mixture with colcannon.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, and place mixture in skillet, flatten until it fills the pan from edge to edge and is about ½ to 1 inch thick.
- Fry until a crisp crust forms then invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve with eggs or as a stand alone dinner.