What is better than a simple BLT? A gourmet BLT. With the ingredients being just bacon, lettuce, tomato… and bread, a BLT is one of the simplest things you can make for yourself. However, a gourmet BLT provides that extra little pizzazz you are wanting. By going the extra mile, you can add even more texture and flavor to your already delicious sandwich. This easy BLT recipe from Jenni Field’s only requires a few more simple ingredients and is the perfect lunchtime meal for the whole family!
- 4 slices excellent quality bread, sliced fairly thick, lightly toasted
- softened butter
- mayonnaise, Duke's, or your favorite
- aged white cheddar, sliced about 1/8" thick (2 for $5 of Our Family Sliced Cheese 8oz. this week for a different flavor of cheese)
- 6-8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked to your liking (2 for $5 Our Family Bacon 16oz. this week)
- 4 leaves leaf lettuce, washed and patted dry
- 1 perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes at room temperature, sliced 1/4" thick ($1.99/lb. Tomatoes on the Vine this week)
- 1 avocado, sliced in /4" slices ($4.99 hot or mild guacamole this week instead of just avocados for some extra flavor)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spread each piece of toasted bread with a thin layer of butter and then a generous layer of mayonnaise.
- Place the white cheddar on the 2 slices of bread that will be the bottoms. Arrange them so they cover the bread as completely as possible.
- Place the bacon on the cheese so you'll be sure to get bacon in every bite. The bacon I used was really huge--about 1 1/2 oz per slice, pre-cooked weight. If you're using grocery store bacon, you may need more slices. And you can also do the bacon weave before cooking to ensure bacon in every bite.
- Arrange the leaf lettuce on top of the bacon followed by 3 slices of tomato.
- Salt and pepper the tomato and then shingle on the avocado slices, 1/2 avocado per sandwich. Lightly salt and pepper the avocado and top with the top slice of bread. Press down lightly.