Here’s a new way to prepare cornbread that adds just the right amount of sweetness. This one comes to us from the creative people at Love and Confections, and will have everyone talking! Here are the easy ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Florida Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cooked Florida Sweet Corn Kernels
- Put vegetable oil into cast iron skillet, place it in a cold oven, then heat to 400F. Once hot, remove from the oven and brush the bottom and sides of the skillet with a pastry brush
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1 cup of flour, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and butter together. Pour into dry ingredients and mix to combine. In another bowl, add the blueberries, corn, and 2 tablespoons flour. Toss to combine, then gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the hot cast iron skillet and level the top with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.