Award-Winning Mushroom Pot Roast
Cooler weather has us hunting for comfort foods. Today we have an award-winning Taste of Home pot roast recipe that will take the chill out of any day! Plus this just happens to feature some items that are on special this week at Fresh Madison Market.
Here’s your shopping list:
- 1 boneless Angus Pride beef chuck roast, approx. 3 to 4 pounds (Just $3.99/lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms (Get three 8-oz containers for just $5)2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (2 for $5)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots (peeled baby carrots in a 1lb bag, 4 for $5)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Mashed potatoes
Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onions, broth, wine, tomato sauce, parsnips, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat, and vegetables.