Apple Bacon Salad
It’s sweet. It’s salty. It’s full of flavor and crunch. The apple bacon salad can be a nice side or a meal by itself. And it has bacon…and everybody is good with that! This week, Cuisine at Home offers up a great salad recipe, plus a savory homemade dressing you can make in a snap!
Here’s all you’ll need:
- 3 strips Our Family Smoked Bacon, diced (2 for $6 this week)¼ cup minced shallots
- ¼ cup apple juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups of your favorite salad mix (Assorted varieties of Dole Salad Blends $1.89/bag this week)
- 1 cup thinly sliced apples (Gala, Fuji, Jonagold apples from Washington 99 cents/lb this week)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped honey-roasted peanuts
For the vinaigrette, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add shallots to the drippings and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in juice concentrate, vinegar, Dijon, and cinnamon; simmer 1 minute.
Off heat, whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
For the salad, toss together romaine, mesclun greens, apple, onion, peanuts, and bacon.
Toss salad with vinaigrette and serve immediately.